Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Year's Hiatus

At the end of April, 2009, I decided to stop blogging about what seemed, then, as a looming global economic collapse and started to practice what I was preaching. I finished my postgraduate degree, started "leveraging" my skill-set to make a little money, and I have been working at being less spendy and more attune to the value of free stuff - you know, the good stuff, the stuff with substance and meaning: family, friends, art, music, literature, living well, and living less encumbered. Still working on the last one. It's been quite a year. Here are a few things I've learned.

1. Your skills and talents are valuable and there are people who are happy to pay you for your knowledge.

2. Getting out from behind the computer is the best, maybe only, way to live.

3. Despite the neoluddite sentiment of point #2, meetup.com is a great site to find groups of others with similar interests...

4. and craigslist.org is a good way to get the word out about what you have to offer the world.

5. Jogging keeps one sane and fit (two things we should all strive for).

6. Making a good soup is the most important skill one could possess.

So, why am I blogging here again? I guess things are getting pretty bad politically, environmentally, and economically and 1) attention needs to be paid to, let's say, alternative reactions to calamity, 2) blogging is one way to build community and, truth to tell, it's something that I have missed, 3) I find that blogging helps me place events in perspective and makes me spend some time carefully considering how to articulate with the future.

What's new after a year? Not much economically. The unemployment rate is higher and likely to climb; there is an oil slick covering the Gulf and threatening to catch ocean currents, spreading it even farther; Europe is in crisis; the stock market is slumping...again...

How about the positives? CO2 emissions drop in 2009 due to the recession; consensus on important issues is starting to emerge - e.g. the US National Academy of Scientists have agreed that global warming is real and due to human activities; a new deal protects millions of acres of forest lands in Canada; the recession has prompted a record number of startups in the US; contraction is the new growth (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

No comments: